- About Us
GVSU Surplus Store was created to reduce environmental impact by engaging in sustainable practices by providing items that have reached the end of their shelf life for sale to the general public, as well as providing an avenue for educating students in the field of business.
The GVSU Surplus Store is modernizing and updating the way the GVSU Community disposes of its unused materials. When items have reached the end of their life cycle or are no longer needed, Procurement Services collects the items from the GVSU Community and makes them available for sale at the retail store. Some of the items that are available for purchase are laptops, desktop computers, office chairs and furniture, cell phones, computer monitors along with various other items.
Our goal is to reduce the amount of university materials that go to a landfill. When we find items that cannot be reused, we look to recycle them. Some items, such as electronics or hazardous materials, require specialized handling. We continually work with our vendors and partners to ensure all byproducts of recycling are disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
- Products avoid ending up in a landfill.
- Products inadequate to sell are recycled in a responsible and sustainable manner.
- When special situations arise, products are donated to other nonprofit organizations (e.g., schools, food pantries, etc.) in order for GVSU to continue giving back to the community.
- Students receive hands-on experience in a business setting.
- Students learn about the importance of sustainability and best practices.
- Student employment opportunities are posted to www.gvsu.edu/lakerjobs as they become available.
Reduce Costs of Operations
- The revenue from sales will go back into the University's general fund.
- The overall goal is to eventually have the store revenues assist in helping provide students with quality education at a more affordable price by depositing the revenues back into the general fund.